Friday, 4 July 2014

Battle of the BB Creams

When it comes to face makeup, I'm a total BB cream junkie. I have a few foundations but I only wear them on pretty special occasions~ this is primarily due to the fact that I love the easy application and skincare benefits that come with purchasing a good BB cream. The Korean ones in particular give a lot of Western foundations a run for their money when it comes to coverage, hence why I'm now a total convert and would never swap my precious BB's for a cheap foundation alternative from the drugstore.

I wanted to write this post to introduce you to some of my all time favourite BB creams, and hopefully break it down so you can find one that will suit your personal preferences. I haven't tried all the BB creams out there (yet) but I like to think I have a fair bit of experience with them, so hopefully this can be of use or just interest to you all. All the brands I've chosen are Korean, purely because I think they make much better skincare products than those you might find on the UK highstreet. I really hope you enjoy this post, let me know in the comments what your favourite BB cream (or foundation), because I'd love to know hehe^^




(These are just in alphabetical order by the way, not order of preference or anything). First up is the Etude House precious mineral bright fit BB cream, I use shade W13. You can usually purchase these for £8-£10, depending on the site. As with most Etude House products, the packaging is adorable, and is a much loved BB cream among many beauty bloggers, including myself!

Claims
Bullet Graphics SPF30 and PA++
Bullet Graphics Whitening 
Bullet Graphics Anti-Darkening
Bullet Graphics Anti-Wrinkle



Next, the Liole Beyond the Solution BB Cream. Unfortunately I have no idea what shade I have because I didn't purchase this myself and it doesn't seem to say on the product. It's a similar price to the Etude House one, with prices averaging around £10 online. There is very little English on the back, so I had to research this a little to find out it's claims and information>.< An important thing to note with this is there is no claim to have SPF, which some people prefer, but don't forget to wear sunscreen underneath this one!

Claims:
Bullet Graphics Moisturizing
Bullet Graphics Smoothing
Bullet Graphics Soothing
Bullet Graphics Oil-Control
Bullet Graphics Long-lasting



This is the Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream, which I'm using in NO.21. This is my most used BB cream at the moment, I've not had it for that long but I read so many good reviews about this~ I'm not sure why I didn't buy it myself before! The packaging is not the prettiest so that's probably why I wasn't drawn to it (bad I know haha) but don't let that fool you because the product inside is awesome! I also find this one to be a little cheaper, with prices starting at £5 and going up to around £8.

Claims:
Bullet Graphics SPF42 and PA+++
Bullet Graphics Lightens Skin Tone
Bullet Graphics Anti-Wrinkle
Bullet Graphics Whitening
Bullet Graphics Hides Blemishes
Bullet Graphics Anti-Aging


 Finally this is the Skin79 Super+ Blemish Balm with triple functions~ again I don't know the shade, this one was a Christmas present^^ As you may have noticed this one doesn't come in a tube, which is different from all the others. This is good if you store your makeup standing up because it's so stable, but bad if like me you use drawers because it might not fit in! This one seems to be the most expensive one, prices are often upwards of £10, and I've seen some online stores selling it for around £20.

Claims:
Bullet Graphics SPF25 and PA++
Bullet Graphics Whitening
Bullet Graphics UV Protection
Bullet Graphics Wrinkle Improvement

 Now for the Comparisons!

1. Coverage~ Depending on the season and condition of your skin, you might not necessarily be choosing the BB cream with the most coverage. For example, in summer, it is more detrimental to layer on heavy face makeup since your skin could get hot and cause your pores to open up and produce more sebum.


These swatches above are when I apply the BB cream over some super black gel eyeliner, no one has blemishes that dark but it's just to allow an easy comparison. From highest to lowest coverage, the ranking is as follows: Missha, Etude House, Liole, Skin79. However, as you might be able to see, the Skin79 and Missha creams have a much better brightening effect than the others.

---

2. Colour ~ What I mean by this is that like with foundations, different brands of BB cream have different undertones, that suit cooler or warmer toned skins. Contrary to what some people seem to think, this undertone does not change even if you use a darker/lighter shade. It's become accepted that cooler toned people should stick to yellow undertones, and warmer people to pink. But I've heard from some makeup artists like Pony, that yellow ones are better for everyone because they are more brightening and are less likely to age you.


From what I can tell, the Etude House and Missha creams have a very definite yellow undertone, though in the image above the Missha one looks a lighter, when on the skin you can detect the yellow tones. The Liole one is possibly a little more pink, but I don't find it to be a bad thing, even though I'm cool toned. However the biggest issue that myself and many other people have with the Skin79 BB cream is that it has a tendency to look a bit grey. Since it's light coverage I don't put enough on to notice it enough, but after a couple of layers the grey tones become more obvious~ so I suggest testing this one first to see if it looks ok on your skin!

---

3. Lasting power~ This is a factor that I'm sure many of you are curious about, since it's something that you have to see for yourself. Depending on the climate of the countries you are all living in, the other makeup you use in conjunction with BB creams and the sorts of everyday activities you do will greatly affect how long your makeup last, so I can only give you my personal experience with each product. To give you an idea, I live in the UK where it's currently supposed to be 'summer' but the weather fluctuates. I wore these for a full day at college where I didn't do anything too strenuous or out of the ordinary^^

I found that the longest lasting one when I got home was the Missha one, closely followed by the Liole (which kept my skin more matte in comparison with the others). The Etude House one had reasonable lasting power, but it definitely looked better in the morning! Skin79 was trailing behind again though, probably due to the low coverage.

Overall

Etude House - 9/10
Looks great on the skin, brightening, very affordable, cute packaging
Doesn't control oil very well, may not last all day with reapplication

Liole - 8/10
Affordable, good coverage for summer, stays matte the longest
No sun protection, not brightening, no English translation on the product

Missha - 9/10
Great coverage, brightens skin tone, very affordable, high SPF 
Pretty boring packaging, prone to not lasting on hot days

Skin79 - 7/10
Lighter coverage, UV protection, unique packaging
Can have grey undertones, awkward shaped container, not very brightening 

17 comments:

  1. I also prefer BB cream for daily use! I don't even own a foundation! Between these four BB creams, I personally would choose Missha but if I'm not wrong, Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream contains parabens and I avoid products that contain paraben as possible as I can--how unfortunate, its reputation is good but OH NO paraben why.

    If you want to try another Missha product, their M Signature Real Complete BB Cream is hypoallergenic, noncomedogenic, free of parabens, mineral oil, alcohol, GMOs, Triclosan, and Benzophenone. Just dropping this in case you want to go for a BB Cream hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so lazy about looking up things like that~ thanks for letting me know, I literally don't even think about chemicals and ingredients when I'm buying makeup (it's really bad I know!). And thanks for the recommendation, once I've run out of my current Missha one, I'll definitely make the swap to that to try it out! Thanks so much for reading! ^^ x

      Delete
  2. I've been using the skin79 bbcream, but the gold one. So good for dry skin. Foundations just seem to flake off on my face. Bbcreams ftw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really had a problem with dry skin, I mostly just battle with an oily T-zone in the summer-_- But my Mum can't use foundations for the same reason as you~ It's her birthday coming up, so I might buy her the gold version to try out, if it works well for you! Thanks for reading and leaving your comment Xiu! ^^ x

      Delete
  3. I had a skin79 two years ago and by the end of the time I really didn't like it.
    Nowadays I'm more curious about bb cushions (like the one from Laneige and the mineral one from Etude House :3 )

    Take care*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm not a massive fan either~ not when there are so many better BB creams out there for less money. I'm also super curious about the bb cushions, I want to get one but can't decide which>.< If I do I'll write a review for sure! Thanks for reading Diana! x

      Delete
  4. Oo, awesome post, Emily!~ I love comparison posts like these, LOL. I've tried all of these BB creams as well, and I'd have to say that the Missha one is my favourite. Skin79 makes me look like walking zombie... Good to see your posts again!~ <3

    Junniku blog [Click!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thank you June~ glad you're back! ^^ Yeah, I find myself going back to the Missha one a lot, it's so affordable as well how can I resist! x

      Delete
  5. Definitely need to pick up the Etude House one now...BECAUSE MY LOCAL ASIAN MALL FINALLY STOCKS ETUDE HOUSE PRODUCTS YAYAYAY. And because I'm in serious need of a BB cream and a base that has a yellow undertone. Thanks for this post!...considering I'm an actual n00b with Asian BBs and such ;-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg you lucky thing, I've not even got local Asian shop, let alone a whole mall T_T But I really do recommend the Etude House one if you can get your hands on it^^ They have a few different versions though, so if you get the chance to try a different one, I'd love to know how you get on! Thanks for reading Vanessa, glad I could help you a little! ^^ x

      Delete
  6. I have been dying to pick up one of those Etude House bb creams! Especially since they have a wider color range~ But as of right now I've been living off of my Skin Food peach sake bb cream <3
    Thanks so much for sharing <3

    xoxo Payton of K-Party With Payton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should, they're really great! ^^ I've never tried the skinfood BB creams~ but I've heard some good things so I might check them out sometime! Thanks for reading Payton(: x

      Delete
  7. I hope you don't mind me using your post as an inspiration to write my own BB comparison review >_< I had to credit you :) and if you would like too, you could check out my post here:
    http://sarahfourtwo.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/review-comparing-my-current-bb-creams.html

    Great post by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I don't mind! I'm flattered that my post inspired you^^ I'll definitely check out yours as well, thanks for reading Sarah(: x

      Delete
  8. Nice post ^^
    Very helpful xx

    Mind to visit my newest post?
    http://missdjoen.blogspot.com/2014/07/wonderland-does-exist-alice-tea-room.html

    Love,
    missdjoen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yunita(: I'll visit your post now! ^^ x

      Delete
  9. My favorite is Missha because the oil control is good on me ^^

    Indira
    http://indiranyan.blogspot.jp

    ReplyDelete